NZ Beef and Lamb, June 23rd, 2007
Suitable from 6 months
- 600-800g piece of lean beef sirloin, topside, bolar or chuck
- 2 Tbsp mild prepared mustard
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 4 medium potatoes or kumara, peeled and quartered
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 parsnips or swede, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 leeks or other seasonal vegetables, cut into chunks
1. Place the beef on a rack in a roasting dish. Roast at 180°C for 45 minutes.
2. Remove from the oven and spread the top of the beef with the prepared mustard.
3. Toss the vegetables in the oil and scatter around the roast beef. Return to the oven for a further 45 minutes or until the meat is tender and the vegetables cooked. Remove the beef from the oven and allow the meat to stand for 10 minutes before carving. Place the vegetables in the oven at 150°C to keep warm.
4. Serve the roast beef thinly sliced with the vegetables.
Babies 6-7 months
Take a selection of the meat, potato and vegetables and purée separately to a smooth paste. If a little dry, moisten with baby’s milk or some meat juices from the pan.
Babies 8-9 months
Cut the meat into bite-size pieces and give the vegetables as finger food.