Note: You don't have to peel the zucchini before shredding it for this recipe. It won't affect the taste and the peel will provide some extra fibre.
Prep time: 30 minutes
What you need:
- 1½ cups shredded zucchini (about 2 small)
- 2 cups whole-grain pancake or biscuit mix
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- powdered sugar (enough to dust the muffins)
Equipment and supplies:
- bowls — one large, one medium
- grater — a plastic grater is safest for kids
- measuring cups and spoons
- muffin tin and paper liners
What to do:
- Wash zucchini and remove ends.
- Shred zucchini using largest holes on grater.
- Place grated zucchini on paper towels and squeeze to remove water.
- Measure 1½ cups of squeezed-dry zucchini.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix whole-grain pancake mix (or biscuit mix) with spices.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, applesauce, and lemon juice.
- Fold the egg-sugar mixture and shredded zucchini into the pancake-spice mixture; do not overmix.
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake 10–15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove muffins from tin and cool on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle muffins with a dusting of powdered sugar.
Makes about a dozen muffins.