SKIP - Ministry of Social Development
Although two year olds don’t like change, they do start to calm down as they approach three and learn new skills. They start to talk a lot, have lots of energy and enjoy noise. They develop definite likes and dislikes with food, clothes, toys, etc. Some two year olds get a bit bossy or jealous.
- give lots of praise when they do something well
- listen to what they are saying – and try to answer all those questions
- do things together that you enjoy
- give one instruction at a time – not a list
- give clear directions
- give them little jobs to do
- try to set a good example – your children copy what you do
- set clear limits and stick to them
- be consistent
- keep an eye out to see if they’re ready for toilet training
- explain why you don’t like something they are doing.
Talk lots – praise their talking.