We are a family-friendly early learning centre in central Upper Hutt. Our philosophy is to recognise and support the central role of whānau and culture in the lives of our tamariki, building on the kete of knowledge each tama brings from their home culture. We will work in partnership with you to nurture and develop your child in a holistic way to become a competent and confident young learner.
* full day (7.30 am - 6 pm) care and education, 52 weeks per year for tamariki 3 months to 5 years
* experienced, dedicated qualified teachers - minimum 80% registered teachers
* respect for your child's unique abilities, preferences and knowledge
* nutritious tasty home cooked meals served in a relaxed, sociable environment (Healthy Heart Award)
* a bi-cultural curriculum, including te reo and tikanga Maori
* celebration of all the cultures of our community
* a creative and responsive free choice curriculum, where teachers choose and plan activities and projects based on the interests shown by the children
* large outdoor areas for active play which are available to the tamariki as much as possible
* sustainability education - we are an Enviroschool
* planning for individual learning, including learning stories (online and a 'profile book')
* a preparation for school programme for 4 year olds (Te Kohanga Manu) including regular visits to the local school new entrant classes
* mixed age learning making use of tuakana-teina relationships where older tamariki show leadership and consolidate learning by assisting and role-modelling for younger tamariki
* 20 hours ECE for 3-5 year olds
Our Nursery/Teina programme operates in a home-like mixed age setting with excellent ratios for babies through to toddlers. Teachers focus on building respectful reciprocal relationships with each child and care routines are based on individual needs. The age of transition to the Pre-school is flexible, dependent on each child and family preferences.
Our Pre-school/Tuakana Programme caters for children from 2 years. Teachers observe and provide learning experiences for children to extend their current learning interests. We provide a well-established Transition to School programme for 4 years olds which includes regular visits to local primary school new entrant classes (currently St Joseph's School, Upper Hutt School, and Fraser Cresent School).